I agree with the idea that school opens the doors to learning new things about the world we live in. For me, school has definitely taught me ways in which to think critically so that I don't merely swallow everything I see or am told. I have begun to see how today's youth come to school with an entirely different background of knowledge than the youth of yester year. This particular quote stood out to me, that, "Teachers would no longer be the providers of information but instead would be the explainers, the context providers, the meaning makers, and the evaluators of information that kids find on their own" (Prensky).
I think that learning about both the past and preparing for the future is crucial to a well-rounded education. I learned about Prensky's four practices, and think that the practices that Prensky introduced in his article are excellent suggestions for schools to consider. The idea that we take advantage of technology rather than ban it, getting feedback from students and parents, connecting students to the world, and considering the future are such relevant topics in any type of classroom.
Credit: Turning on the Lights by Marc Prensky
Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
How do you feel about teachers moving from a place of providing information to a role where they explain and help students make sense of all of the information that they have available to them? Does that make teaching easier or harder? Not sure that is an easy question to answer, but I know that it creates a better learning environment for students.
It seems to me that teachers should do both, they should be helping them to think critically about what they already know and have learned, and also build upon their prior knowledge with new information. This is difficult because each student comes to the classroom with a different background of knowledge.
Post a Comment