Monday, September 21, 2009
Assignment #1
Article Reflection
I found an interesting article through the Education Research Complete database about the use of SMART boards in the classroom in the context of kindergarten science. The article talked about what a SMART Board is and the many practical ways in which it can be used in the classroom. The SMART Board can be used to interact with pre-recorded sounds, participate in educational activities, watch simulations, and write and save notes or drawings. Students' work can also be displayed or presented via a SMART Board for greater efficiency or effectiveness. The large screen and interactive nature of the SMART Board appeal to elementary students and allows them to be engaged with the lessons because of the opportunity to be involved and use their visual and kinesthetic learning skills. This article gave some examples of how a SMART Board can be used in a primary elementary classroom. The example class used the SMART Board to present step-by-step instructions on a Powerpoint, record results of classroom investigations, conduct mini experiments, and allow students to work with grouping or classifying objects on the SMART Board screen. I learned that there are a variety of ways in which one can use the SMART Board to enhance class learning and the key is to branch out into these new opportunities and learn how to use the SMART Board to one's advantage.
Credit: Use of SMART Boards for teaching, learning and assessment in kindergarten science by Chris Preston and Lee Mowbray
Teaching Science - the Journal of the Australian Science Teachers Association; Jun2008, Vol. 54 Issue 2, p50-53, 4p
NETS for Teachers
The NETS (National Educational Technology Standards) that I want to focus on as a teacher is #5: Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership. What this means to me is that I will continue my own learning, specifically about teaching and how I can integrate technology into my teaching. I plan to learn from others in the educational field, participate in the learning community, evaluate tools and resources that I might use in the classroom, and teach others by sharing the information and insight that I gain. I feel that this standard in particular is important for myself and my future class because it is the building of a foundation for my lesson plans and will in part reflect how engaging and effective my teaching will be.
My plan on how I will focus on this area is as follows...
Read educator blogs.
Research and evaluate valuable tools and resources that will be useful to me in teaching.
Create an organized, categorized list of available tools and resources.
Ask experienced teachers for tips and advice.
Share what I learn on this blog so that others might find it useful for their own teaching.
NETS for Students
The NETS for Students that I have chosen to focus on is #2 Communication and Collaboration. This standard involves using technology to learn both individually and in groups, using a variety of technological tools and resources in projects, communicating or presenting information using technology, interacting with students from other cultures, and participating in group projects and activities. This standard is particularly important for the students I will be working with because the skills they will be applying and practicing now will be used throughout their educational career, and onward into their professional career. I can incorporate this standard into my classroom in several ways:
Use wikis to allow students to sign up for group projects.
Provide the SMART Board for student presentations.
Let students research and briefly teach their classmates a new skill or information relevant to the curriculum through the use of audio clips, video clips, and the SMART Board.
Work with students to create an educational class podcast or video that other classrooms around the world can view.
Give students the opportunity to write a collaborative class letter to another class in a different part of the world.
Provide a way for my class to work collaboratively with a class from a different country on a long-term project.
Allow students to submit entries relevant to the unit theme to the class blog that students may be able to access at home or from the library.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment