I found this article to be incredibly relevant and I hope some of you out there will find it as helpful as I did. Wolpert shares five tips on how to prepare yourself and your class for the scary standardized testing. This advice is applicable to teachers and students of all grade levels. I have to say that I can't see how trying these out could do anything but help!
-Practice "bubbling". Filling in those tiny bubbles is quite the task and if it simply isn't done right the assessment scores may not accurately reflect the knowledge of your class!
-Teach them to speak the language. It's a good idea to explain words that will likely appear in the exam's directions, such as the word "analyze".
-Look at your data. Looking at the assessments you've done will point out what your students know and what they don't quite understand yet.
-Set realistic goals for your students so that they can see what they need to improve on and how they will get there.
-Have confidence in them (and yourself)! Encourage, encourage, encourage!
Credit: Test Prep Doesn't Have to Be Overwhelming by Heather Wolpert
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Those tips are helpful. I know when I am filling out a test, I'm always nervous that the bubbles won't be read correctly by the machine and I'll lose credit. I'm sure students worry about the same thing so it makes sense to have them practice. I also like the tip on teaching them the language. So much of doing well on the test is understanding what it is asking you to do. And many times the tests use strange wording. Thanks for posting that!
Post a Comment