Tuesday, September 29, 2009

HTML


I believe I first learned HTML while in junior high. I learned the basics online including how to change the background color of a page, manipulate font (bold, italic, size), create bullet points, include a link, make a table/chart and make a divider bar. I've forgotten a lot and could probably use a refresher course, but there are a few key basics I can still recall. I likely learned a little bit while I was in high school, but I honestly don't remember if I did or not!



We went over some basic HTML and practiced writing code in class on textedit (for Macs), I think a lot of it came back to me pretty quickly. There are definitely a lot faster ways to create a website, but I feel that sometimes HTML makes things a little less complicated. I know when we were using Weebly to create a sample class website some of the functions were just more trouble than than it was worth!

2 comments:

Prof. Sorenson said...

Interesting observation about Weebly -- and the difficulty of understanding how some of the functions work. That is the challenge of technology -- how to make it simple enough for new users to understand the process yet provide enough functions to make the end product exciting and one that the user will be proud of. I think that "free" also plays a part in the ease of use, and many tools are free to use but are not developed enough to be easy to use.

Em said...

I think HTML formating makes things more complicated. Weebly allows us to create a web site out of a pre made template. I liked this. I really did not like typing out everything by hand.

Readers