Monday, September 21, 2009

Reflections on Generation IM


I was somewhat surprised and caught off-guard at the technology statistics that the article shared. I find that a lot of what the article saying is true, I see it in the lives of my younger siblings, in classrooms, and what I hear about on the news. I agree that it is perhaps more than just teaching them new information and how to use that information, it is about teaching them about what they already have learned and will learn from outside sources and how to evaluate it for credibility.

"Young people spend about 6.5 hours a day outside of school using media. That’s more than 44 hours a week reading, surfing the Internet, playing video games, listening to music, and watching TV."


There are three main barriers addressed in the article which are common reasons why technology is not used more in the educational setting. The first two have to do with educators' own knowledge and development of technological skills. This gives me hope that I can take my learning into my own hands and prevent my classroom from being the one that's "behind the times". It seems to me that the key is to constantly be an active learner and explorer so that I know what is out there and the new possibilities that I can integrate into my teaching. The most current and freshly developed ways to integrate technology into one's classroom is blogging, social networking, podcasts, wikis, social bookmarking, video technology, and google maps. This is a great place to start, but I know there currently are and will be more technological resources as the world continues to develop, and I intend to discover them!

Credit: Generation IM

1 comment:

Amber Guth said...

I think you have a very good and accepting view of the technology that we are having to learn about and keep up on as the years pass. On one hand, for me, it seems impossible to keep up on all the learning of technology there must be in teaching the generations afterus. On the other, it is exciting to have many tools to keep students engaged and learning. I am sure we will be greatful for our knowledge. I hope that we can view like you do to some degree--as an adventure.

Readers