Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Progress on my Goal


This semester I decided I wanted to focus on my own growth as a student and as a future teacher. My desire is to discover engaging ways in which I can teach my students, and how I can incorporate technology into my classroom. My plan was to learn from others in the educational field and build a foundation of knowledge that will hopefully make my teaching both efficient and effective. Specifically, the National Educational Technology Standard that I chose to devote my time to was #5 Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership. You can read more about the details of my plan here.

This semester I have been reading many blogs by teachers and others in the educational field. They have a lot of helpful feedback! I've found many valuable resources through their websites; once you find a really good blog (one that goes in-depth and has a lot of "meat") you're likely to find even more great blogs that they follow. I've been keeping an organized document of all the helpful links and online tools that I'll likely refer to when I begin teaching. I cannot tell you how excited I get when I learn about a fabulous teaching idea! Additionally, at every classroom observation I've been conducting, I ask key questions of the teacher that I feel gives me a better idea of what to expect when I start teaching. I feel that I can learn so much from their experiences. Some of what I've learned I have shared here on this blog with my personal reflections on how I would use this information in my teaching. It will be interesting to see what else I learn this semester and what I can share with all of you!

2 comments:

angelyna said...

Jessica,
I decided to work on the same NETS for teachers as you. It has helped so much being in Tech Ed. Without it I would not be able to have the time to find all of these technologies. I really enjoyed the class day when we all got to choose something to wrok on and then we all came together again and showed what we had learnind. even though I did not get a chance to do it myself, having everyone tell what they learned helped me to learn it as well.
You mentioned saving your helpful links for when you are teaching...what system are you using? I learned how to make a google search engine and in that you can put all of your helpful links. Let me know if that's something you want to learn how to do and I will show you.

justhappilyeverafter said...

Angelyna,

I think that all of us can (and are) learning so much from each other. Teaching is one of those professions where networking with others in the field is truly beneficial! To answer your question, I am just listing them (by subject) in a Word document. I will be curious to see what "containers" we will learn about for our resource toolbox, though!

Readers